Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Agonizing Decision

After 4 days of babying my Achilles, it isn't getting any better. In fact, it is getting worse. I have changed my cycling position to the point where I can pedal without feeling too much pain. But now when I walk I favor the left leg and I can feel it constantly, whereas this was not a problem before.

The fact of the matter is, it needs rest. And it can't get any rest doing 60 rpm for 6-10 hrs per day. I've thought maybe if I give it 3 or 4 days rest it might heal, but it is wishful thinking. Once I did another long day it would become aggravated again.

So before I do any long term damage, it is time to make the inevitable decision. I must bandon this wonderful journey.

I am pecking this out on my smartphone at 3am. I can't sleep. I've agonized over this decision.  Even now tears are running down my cheeks.  I don't want to stop. It's been such an amazing journey. And we are fit and in a rhythm and are eager to see what lies ahead. But it will have to wait.

So...what now? We are close to Yellowstone so we've rented a car and  plan to do some site seeing. We fly home the end of the week.

Thank you for sharing our journey. We've had a blast. I hope you've enjoyed it too.

So long Great Divide Mountain Bike Route....for now.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear that you need to drop. We need to get together when you get back.

    Glenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry DJ...what else can you say mate...take care and heal up...

    ReplyDelete