Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Jackson to Pinedale

It took us until 1pm to get everything ready.  JHC got our temporary licenses attached, we did some test rides in the neighborhood,  my Arai helmet arrived, and we were off.

Jackson is about 30 miles south of Moran Junction where we departed the route 6 days ago. We rode there and rejoined our jouney.

We crossed the CD for the 7th time at Togwotee Pass. It was here while pulled off the side of the road where I lost balance on the bike (it's quite heavy) and toppled over. Good to get it over soon.

Most of our ride today was thru the Bridger Wilderness. We exited Highway 287 and climbed the gravel road toward Union Pass. Once crested at 9,210 ft, we traveled south between the Gros Ventre range of mountains to the west and the Wind River Mountains to the east. It was beautiful. When we passed Mosquito Lake I was glad to be moving faster on a motorcycle.

We pulled into the cowboy town of Pinedale, WY at 7pm. Long day. 165 miles - much more than we would have covered on our mountain bikes. We should be caught up in a couple of days.

There are pluses and minuses with a motorbike. First, I feel somehow that I'm cheating. Second, I dont like the noise. I love the quiet solitude and hearing everything around me when I'm on my mountain bike. The motorbike, however,  is great on the climbs! Finally, although I'm confident I can fix most of what might befall my mountain bike, I have no idea how to fix a motorbike.  I do stress a bit when we are in the middle of nowhere about a mechanical breakdown.

Day 1 of our new mode of travel is in books.  So far,  so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment