Monday, July 1, 2013

Elk Horn Hot Springs

We decided to do a short day, up and over the hill (big) to Elk Horn Hot Springs - 35 miles and 4 1/2 hrs of relatively easy riding on the road.
We are very concerned about my Achilles.  So we made a plan. First,  we took 15 lbs of stuff we could live without to the P.O. and sent it home. Second, Doug will pull the BOB for a few days to lighten my load. Third, I adjusted the cleat position back on my cycling shoes. It's the contract position that bothers me. The stretch or flex position is fine. Fourth, I moved my saddle forward slightly. Fifth: ice frequently to reduce swelling. Finally, just take it real easy for a couple of days. We are hoping this will do the trick and allow us to continue.
Our ride today was south along #73 scenic byway thru the Pioneer Mountains.  After a long climb we entered a high plateau of green meadows with lots of wild flowers. The blue ones (lupines?) were particularly pungent.
The long descent was heaven.  I'm sure it was 90 out but the fast downhill speed cooled us. Plus it was SO nice just to coast.
We pulled off to a little dirt sideroad and climbed half a mile to the old rustic lodge at Elk Horn Hot Springs.

Doug and I are in the Lewis and Clark room. Pictures of the explorers adorn the walls. We share a bathroom at the end of the hall with the other guests.
After a coke and water,  Doug and I headed for the outdoor, hot springs fed, 95 degree pool. It felt SO nice. Attached is a picture of us soaking.
This is a very relaxing spot. Can't wait to have dinner with all the animal head trophies starring at us. Then maybe we'll sneak in another soak before bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment